FI15461

Request

  1. What is the size of the new front ground floor entrance?  What is the door made of (eg wood and glass)?
  2. Why was a light coloured new door chosen for the Ladywell side entrance that is totally inappropriate for a grade one listed building with what appears to be a plastic handle?
  3. Please supply a copy of Historic England’s comments on the front new entrance and new side door also a copy of their permission to make these specific changes.
  4. Has DDC retained the ancient stones removed from the front of the building?  If yes where are they stored and if not retained why not?
  5. Were any objections received by DDC to the proposal for a new shop style entrance at the front and if so how many where received?
  6. Have Historic England inspectors visited the site since these two drastic changes made?  If so were they satisfied with these two changes to this ancient grade one listed building? 

Response

  1. The details for the new entrance door to the High Street can be seen on Listed Building Consent application number 20/00537 on the planning portal on the Council's website https://www.dover.gov.uk/Planning/Planning-Applications/View-Applications--Decisions/View-Applications.aspx.  Plan numbers 1056-124A, 1056-125D, 1056-127C, 1056-223B, 1056-P1105, 1056-P1255, and 1056-P2101 relate. It is constructed of glass with an etched metal surround.
  2. The door is unfinished and has been installed for security reasons only. Ironmongery and the fretwork design that is found on the historic door is yet to be added.
  3. Historic England’s comments are made publicly accessible on the Council website. The main project works (new entrance door) is Listed Building Consent application number 20/00537. The replacement door to Ladywell is Listed Building Consent application 21/01425. Consent was not required from Historic England to make the alterations to the listed building, they are a statutory consultee for works to grade I and II* listed buildings and were formally consulted.  Historic England’s comments specifically related to the new entrance state: "introducing a new entrance and step free access to the Connaught Hall thereby allowing for its use independent of the Stone Hall causes a low level of harm to the buildings significance, but we think this is capable of being justified by the very great heritage benefit of increased public access and an enhanced income stream which can contribute to the buildings future maintenance. We acknowledge the architectural language of new work is entirely contemporary, but we think such an approach is an elegant way of handling a major new opening in the buildings principal elevation and works well with the robust character of the building."
  4. The stones were 19th Century. Where possible the stone has been reused to carry out some of the extensive repairs that were required to the building envelope, under the guidance of a conservation architect.
  5. All responses to the consultation are available on the Council website and detailed in the officer assessment which is also a public document. No objections were received.
  6. Historic England do not ordinarily make site visits to review works that have been subject to a Listed Building Consent unless they specifically request relevant conditions. None were requested for this element of the works.